Prep 6 hrs
Cook 8 hrs
Easy to make in the crock pot. Has a great cajun flavor. Goes great with corn bread on the side. Enjoy!
- 16 ounces dried black-eyed peas
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots or 1 cup chopped bell pepper (may mix)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1 lb smoked sausage or 1 lb andouille sausages or 1 lb kielbasa, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cajun spices or 1 tablespoon spice essence
- 49 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth (large can)
- cayenne pepper sauce or Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Sort peas and soak in plenty of water overnight.
- Before cooking, drain and rinse.
- Place all ingredients into crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until peas are nicely tender.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Serve with additional tabasco, if desired.
One of my absolute favorites. Hearty - filling, and on a cold Alaska day, nothing reminds me more of the south. I don't alter the recipe - I do include a lot of veggies. Thank you for this!
Made this on New Year's Day and it was a big hit. I fried up some bacon and then sauteed medium chunks of the vegies in a little of the bacon grease. Used ham instead of the sausages, a can of rotel and Emeril's Essence (found here on the site) for the cajun spices. Definately a keeper and one I will use again. Thank you for posting. Made for Turning Over a New Leaf...Diabetic Forum 2011.
Made this today in the crockpot while I was out cleaning leaves...I let it cook for a full 10 hours. It smells SOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!! I did cut down on the spices just a bit since I have at least 1 kid that will be eating it....Maybe next time I'll add a few potatoes??? It needs something....but I am LOVING IT!!! Thanks for a great recipe! I'm always looking for new things to try!