Recipe by Deborah1
An easy tasty one pot dinner. Makes a delicious and inexpensive dinner in a hurry.Vegetarian version. Substitute meat alternative(I have used the Morning Star Farms and the Ready Ground Beef Crumbles with great success, or just leave out altogether and use as a side dish)
Top Review by fmod97
Quite good! I used ground turkey sausage which added a good bit of flavor. I did have to add more liquid to keep it from going dry. I think two or three cans of tomatoes would have suited my taste better.
- 1 lb ground beef (or vegetarian meat alternative, see note above)
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cansspicy black-eyed peas, drained (I prefer the Ranch Style brand, but use Trappey's if I can't get them)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef, onion and bell pepper until beef is brown and vegetables are tender.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Add drained black-eyed peas, tomatoes and their liquid, salt and pepper.
- Mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- I serve with corn muffins and cold spiced peaches for an easy one dish supper.
- NOTE- If you don't have the spicy black-eyed peas, you could add chopped jalapenos to suit your taste along with plain black-eyed peas.
- This dish freezes well.