Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
By Diane Rossen Worthington. Published Bon Appetit 2009.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried black beans (about 10 ounces)
- 2 peeled onions, 1 halved, 1 chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 links fresh chorizo sausage (6 to 7 ounces casings removed)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus additional (to garnish)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno chiles, minced & seeded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons chipotle-flavored hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- For beans:.
- Place beans in large saucepan. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Let beans soak overnight.
- Drain beans. Return to saucepan. Add onion halves, bay leaf, and oregano. Add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered until beans are very tender, stirring occasionally, 1 1/2 to 2 hours (depending on age of beans). Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid. Discard onion halves and bay leaf.
- Heat oil in heavy large deep nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook until brown, breaking up with back of spoon, 4 to 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to small bowl. Add chopped onion to drippings in skillet. Cook until soft and golden brown, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, and cumin; stir 1 minute. Add beans, 3/4 cup reserved cooking liquid, and chorizo to onion mixture. Stir to distribute evenly. Simmer over medium-low heat until heated through and flavors are blended, 3 to 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill uncovered until cool, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm over medium heat before serving.
- For chipotle cream:.
- Whisk all ingredients in small bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewhisk before serving.
- Transfer beans to large bowl. Garnish with chipotle cream and chopped cilantro.
Very good. Time consuming but you don't have to watch beans simmering. ;) Good flavor. The sauce is awesome! I thought it would be creamier/more casserole-y but it wasn't. Really should've had siome rice underneath it. Made for ZWT8 Chefs Gone Wild!