Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This is so good and it's easy too. This recipe was found in Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker.
Top Review by likestocooklovestoeat
This was really good - I added some red pepper flakes to increase the heat a little. Because I kept the crockpot on after adding the mangoes, they had time to stew a little, which made the bean mixture a little sweeter and really brought everything together. Next time, I'll add them about an hour before the cooking time is over.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (any hot chile pepper okay)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 cups cooked long-grain brown rice (white rice okay)
- 2 mangoes, ripe, medium sized, peeled and flesh diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeno, cover, and cook 5 minutes until softened.
- Add in seasonings, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer mixture into a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker.
- Add bean, water, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Add the cooked rice and the mangoes.
- Allow to cook another 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.