Prep 8 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
From Southern Living Magazine- really good with Mexican food, or as a side dish with grilled meat. Prep time includes soaking time for beans.
- 2 lbs dried black beans
- 2 lbs beef short ribs
- 3 medium sweet onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 cups water
- 2 tablespoons ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Soak beans in water to cover, for 8 hours. Drain.
- Brown ribs in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic, saute until onions are tender. Add beans, 12 cups water, chile pepper, cumin, and 1 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil;reduce heat, cover, and simmer 2-3 hours or until beans are tender. Add salt to taste.
Made this for a potluck last Sunday & it was a big hit! Usually, when I do a bean dish, it's with canned beans, but this time I decided to go 'whole hog' with the beef 'n' beans, & am glad I did because not only was it a pleasure to make, but this bean dish was definitely a joy in the eating! Thanks! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Newest Zaar tag]