Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is created for RSC #11
Make and share this Spicy Black Bean Spinach Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 6 cups fresh spinach, cleaned and dry
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sun-dried tomato
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 3 tablespoons key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Heat in a large skillet, 2 tbls olive oil.
- Add shallots and cook until translucent.
- Add spinach (2 cups at a time) until just wilted.
- Once spinach is wilted add tomatoes, salt, cayenne pepper and black beans.
- Remove from heat and place in serving bowl.
- Mix 4 tbs olive oil and 3 tbls of lime juice and zest in a small mixing bowl.
- Pour on spinach mixture and toss.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Serve at room temperature.
This was a nice change for a spinach salad. I did make a change by adding some chopped romaine in at the end, since I was trying to "stretch" out the quantity. I used less oil, too. The lime zest is a nice addition. Next time I'd like to add something to give it a bit of sweetness, maybe some raisins or cranberries. Thanks Katie, for posting.
Wow! I loved this! I changed the amounts of a few things a little bit but didn't add or subtract anything totally. I was tempted to skip the pine nuts because I'm not a big fan of nuts in savory dishes but I really like what they added to this dish (though I didn't use the full 3 Tbsp). I used the variety of tomatoes that aren't packed in oil so softened them up a little by adding them to the skillet before the spinach. I used a "regular" lime instead of key lime, only 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp cayenne, and just 2 Tbsp oil in the dressing. The seasoning was perfect for my taste as I made it. Thanks so much for creating this excellent recipe! :)
Wonderful! I did enjoy this a lot. It is so quick and very easy to make. I used only 2 tablespoon of oil and that was plenty and kept the fat down. Making this even healthier. ;) I did use 8 cups of baby spinach, bottled key lime juice, just a pinch of salt, and walnuts because that is what I had. And I know the pine nuts would have been just yummy in this. OH I did use canned no salt added black soy beans. This is a great spring salad for cooler days. Or anytime come to think of it!