Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this in Gourmet Magazine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (19 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- chopped cilantro
- lime wedge
- chopped white onion
- Heat oi in a 4 to 5 quart heavy pot over med high-heat until it shimmers.
- Saute onion, garlic and jalapeno with chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt until onion is beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add beans, water and bay leaf and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until soup has thickened slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer about 2 cups soup to a blender and puree (use caution when processing hot liquids).
- Return to pot and reheat over medium-low heat, stirring frequently.
- Discard bay leaf and season to taste with salt.