From the Splendid Kitchen via The Simple Art of Eating Well Cookbook by Jessie Price and the Eating Well Test Kitchen. This recipe serves the beans up in a lovely pita bread, but you could use tortillas and make it into a wrap, or serve as a dip with chips. Double up on the beans and encore them with greens, or warmed up and served in a bowl like chile. Canned chipotle peppers add a rich, smoky flavor you will enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (or lemon juice)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons light sour cream or 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 4 (6 inch) pita breads, preferably whole wheat
- 1/2 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- 1Combine black beans, onion, cilantro, garlic, chili powder, cumin and lime or lemon juice in a large bowl. Season with salt.
- 2Slightly mash the beans while stirring, until all ingredients are incorporated and the mixture just holds together.
- 3Stir together mayonnaise, sour cream (or yogurt) and chipotle in a small bowl.
- 4Slice off the top third of each pita; open them up and spread the bean mixture inside.
- 5Top with the chipotle mayonnaise, shredded lettuce, sliced avocado and tomato. Serve within 30 minutes.
- 6This is good warm, room temerature, or even cold.
- 8If you are sensitive to spicy foods, start with half the amount of chili powder called for and increase to taste.
- 9Other canned beans can stand in for the black beans; try cannellini beans, red beans or pinto beans.
- 10Try using plain non-fat Greek yogurt. It's so lusciously thick and creamy you'll never know it has no fat.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Black Bean Sandwiches With Chipotle Mayonnaise
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.5
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 441.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.3 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 14.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: