Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
this is delicious. i serve this over thin rice noodles for a complete 1 dish meal. this is spicy, use less chiles for a milder dish. this recipe is in the "blue ginger" cookbook.
- 2 -3 lbs mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 2 jalapeno chiles, chopped (or thai bird chiles)
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon nam pla (fish sauce)
- 2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 8 ounces rice noodles, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes
- 1 cup Thai basil, chiffonaded
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt, pepper to taste
- 2 limes, halved
- soak noodles in warm water while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- heat oil in a large wok or pot.
- add garlic, ginger, chiles and black beans and heat until softened, 2 minutes.
- add wine and 1 c chicken stock.
- add mussels, cover and heat 5 minutes until mussels open.
- add tomatoes, fish sauce, and remaining chicken stock.
- drain rice noodles and add to pot.
- add basil, chives and butter, stir well.
- season with salt and pepper to taste.
- divide into 4 pasta bowls, squeeze a half lime over each serving.