Recipe by musicnfood-1990
I have been looking for different ways to get a satisfying meal as a newly converted vegetarian. THIS DISH is one of the many ways! I had these over rice with sour cream and salsa on the side, but you can also serve them with pasta and tomato sauce or, instead of rolling into balls, make patties for burgers (making 4 burgers). This will satisfy people who are not vegetarian as well, my boyfriend being the test subject. :)
Top Review by Mgnbos
My non-veg husband took seconds, that ranks this recipe an automatic 5 star recipe. I only had panko and ended up doubling the breadcrumbs, also had to sub pickled jalapenos as there were no fresh ones around - even so, seconds! I topped these with homeade teriyaki sauce and served them over brown rice with bok choy. I expect this will be a versitle recipe and look forward to having it again.
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, small dice
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos, minced
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs, unseasoned
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine red onion, jalapeno, bread crumbs, salt, chili powder, and pepper. Set aside.
- Drain black beans and rinse thoroughly in a colander.
- In a food processor, combine black beans and egg until completely pureed. Add this mixture to the remaining ingredients.
- Combine all ingredients together. The mixture should not be sticky and should be easily formed into balls.
- Form mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls, making 12. Place them on a nonstick cookie sheet (or spray with non-stick spray) and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and firm. Enjoy!