Recipe by Southern Girl!
Started out as a soup, but with the addition of rice makes a nice jambalaya. For the rice I use Uncle Ben's ready to serve brown rice, which eliminates the rice cooking process.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup frozen onion
- 1⁄4 cup frozen bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 10 canned jalapeno slices (optional)
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can black beans, drained not rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups brown rice (cooked) or 2 cups white rice (cooked)
- shredded cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onions, bell peppers and spices and saute until soft.
- Add garlic and saute until you can smell the aroma.
- Add jalapenos if desired, salsa, hot sauce, black beans, water, and rice and mix well. Turn heat up to high and let come to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, turn the heat down to medium, cover, and let simmer for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Garnish with shredded cheese if desired.