Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Empanadas with a vegetable filling made easy by using frozen puff pastry.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed (2 sheets)
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten (for glaze)
Directions See How It's Made
- .Heat oil in a skillet over high heat; add in onion; stir/saute 3 minutes.
- Add in beans, pumpkin, cilantro, cumin, and cayenne; cook about 3 minutes, until mixture is warmed through; remove from heat.
- Using the back of a fork, mash bean filling to coarse paste; season with salt; cool.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Roll out each puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface to a 14-inch square.
- Cut each into 9 squares; place 1 heaping tablespoons bean filling in center of each square.
- Sprinkle each mound of filling with cheese.
- Brush edges of squares with egg glaze; fold 1 corner over filling to opposite corner, forming a triangle; using fork, seal crust edges.
- Arrange pastries on rimmed baking sheet; brush with egg glaze.
- Bake about 15 minutes, until golden brown; serve warm.