Recipe by Ashleybakes
This recipe is a spicy & hearty soup with a tex-mex taste. I was looking for a filling, good-enough-to-be-a-meal soup that was big on taste and light on fat/dairy. It is best when served with all the garnishes so that each bite has a slightly different mix of the fresh flavor. It can be easily modified to be vegetarian/vegan by using vegetable broth (or base) and soy cheese.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red or chocolate bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped finely
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1419.54 ml chicken stock or 1419.54 ml vegetable stock
- 6 small tomatillos, chopped
- 297.66 g can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 396.89 g can black beans, rinsed
- 396.89 g can mild enchilada sauce
- 453.59 g bagfrozen tex-mex mixed vegetables (corn, black beans, onions, & peppers, or equivalent)
- 14.79 ml lime juice
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black & red pepper
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 1.23 ml oregano
- 113.39 g monterrey jack & colby cheese (shredded)
- 113.39 g sour cream (for garnish)
- tortilla chips (for garnish)
- avocado, slices (for garnish)
- 113.39 g pico de gallo (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute' onion, garlic, & chopped peppers in oil until translucent.
- Add: chicken or vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, enchilada sauce, black beans & corn, vegetable blend, lime juice, tomatillas, and seasonings.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes, then thicken with 3-4 tablespoons cornstarch (add cornstarch to a small amount of cool water until dissolved, then stir into pot). If soup seems too concentrated, you may add water.
- Simmer at a low boil for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Serve with tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo and avocado slices for garnish.