Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Okay, there are a TON of ingredients in this, but it's very simple, and very good (I think anyway) - I like to serve this over rice! **instead of whole tomatoes, chopping them - I just use crushed tomatoes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bell peppers, any color, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped (without added oil)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained & chopped
- 2 fresh jalapenos, de-seeded and chopped
- 5 (16 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- In a stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, and saute until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and bell peppers and saute 5 minutes longer.
- Add spices and sundried tomatoes, and combine well, continue stirring for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes and liquid, and jalapenos. Bring mixture to a low boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer, and cook for about 45 minutes - stirring occasionally.
- Add beans (with liquid), lemon, and brown sugar and simmer another 30 minutes - covered.
- Stir in sherry and cilantro - serve with sour cream and cheese or over rice!
- Better if made a day ahead, and freezes well.
Everything looks good, but too much clove. Try cutting it in half or use a dash. Wholly Clove!!