2 hrs 35 mins
1 hr 5 mins
1 hr 30 mins
For a complete meal, serve this spicy chili with fresh-from-the-oven cornbread. Preparation time includes time for soaking beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt or 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped cilantro
- 1Rinse beans.
- 2In a large saucepan combine beans and water- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat- Cover and let stand for 1 hour (Or, skip boiling the water and soak beans overnight in a covered pan).
- 4Drain and rinse beans.
- 5In a large saucepan or Dutch oven cook the onion and garlic in hot oil till tender.
- 6Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, salt, and red pepper.
- 7Cook and stir for 1 minutes.
- 8Add the beans, broth, undrained tomatoes, and sherry or water.
- 9Bring to a boil; reduce heat- Cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or till beans are tender.
- 10To serve, ladle chili into individual bowls and dollop with yogurt or sour cream and sprinkle with cilantro.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Black Bean Chili
Serving Size: 1 (586 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.6
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.9 mg
- Sodium 196.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 13.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: