From Everyday Food. I haven't tried them yet-I'm entering all of my recipes from magazines I've saved over the years to try to get rid of some of the clutter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 -2 jalapeno, finely chopped, ribs and seeds removed if desired
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- coarse salt
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and coarsely grated to equal 2 cups
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1Heat broiler. In small skillet over med heat, warm 1 T oil. Cook scallions til soft, 1 minute Add garlic, jalapeno and cumin. Cook til fragrant, 30 seconds. Transfer to large bowl.
- 2Add beans to bowl; mash with fork or potato masher, leaving about 1/4 of the beans whole. Season generously with salt and pepper. Fold in sweet potato, egg and breadcrumbs. Divide into 8 balls of equal size; flatten into patties.
- 3Brush a baking sheet with remaining T oil; place patties on sheet, 1/2 inch apart. Broil 4 inches from heat til golden brown, 8-10 minute With thin metal spatula, carefully turn cakes. Broil til crisp, 2-3 min more.
- 4If desired serve with Lime Sour Cream.
- 5Lime Sour Cream: In small bowl, combine 1/2 c sour cream with 2 t fresh lime juice and 1 small minced jalapeno; season with coarse salt.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Black Bean Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.9
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 141.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.1 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 18.8 g