Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Everyday Food. I haven't tried them yet-I'm entering all of my recipes from magazines I've saved over the years to try to get rid of some of the clutter.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 -2 jalapeno, finely chopped, ribs and seeds removed if desired
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- coarse salt
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and coarsely grated to equal 2 cups
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Heat broiler. In small skillet over med heat, warm 1 T oil. Cook scallions til soft, 1 minute Add garlic, jalapeno and cumin. Cook til fragrant, 30 seconds. Transfer to large bowl.
- Add beans to bowl; mash with fork or potato masher, leaving about 1/4 of the beans whole. Season generously with salt and pepper. Fold in sweet potato, egg and breadcrumbs. Divide into 8 balls of equal size; flatten into patties.
- Brush a baking sheet with remaining T oil; place patties on sheet, 1/2 inch apart. Broil 4 inches from heat til golden brown, 8-10 minute With thin metal spatula, carefully turn cakes. Broil til crisp, 2-3 min more.
- If desired serve with Lime Sour Cream.
- Lime Sour Cream: In small bowl, combine 1/2 c sour cream with 2 t fresh lime juice and 1 small minced jalapeno; season with coarse salt.
I subbed regular potato instead of the sweet potato. I just didn't think I would like the sweet potato with the spicy flavors. It was wonderful! My vegan sister in law loved it. She had it with guacamole instead of the sour cream. These also freeze beautifully.
I halved this recipe and substituted a heaping TBL of chopped green chilies in place of the jalapeno. Served on a bed of baby mixed salad greens with slices of tomato/cucumber and shredded carrot on the side with the lime sour cream. Delicious!