Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These burgers are spiced to perfection. To make them even spicier, you could melt jalapeno soy cheese on each patty and serve topped with salsa. From HOW IT ALL VEGAN. Calories: 189.5 Fat: 3.5 g Carbohydrates: 32.5 g Protein: 8 g
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium red pepper, diced
- 2 cups canned black beans, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup corn niblets
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced (optional)
- On a small plate, set aside flour for coating. In a medium saucepan, sauté the onion, garlic, oregano, and hot peppers in oil on medium-high heat until the onions are translucent. Add the peppers and sauté another 2 minutes, until pepper is tender. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the black beans with a potato masher or fork. Stir in the vegetables (including the corn), breadcrumbs, cumin, salt, chili powder, and parsley. Mix well. Divide and shape into 6 patties.
- Lay down each patty in flour, coating each side. Cook on a lightly oiled frying pan on medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes or until browned on both sides.
These were amazing! I opted to put an egg in after reading reviews and I think it helped quite a lot. Also used canellini beans as I was unable to source black beans. Ran them through the blender and that worked really well. These were so good that I'm onto my 3rd burger. This is a real keeper!
We thought these black bean burgers were easy to make, with lots of on-hand ingredients, though they were a little dry and needed a little something even after adding melted pepper jack cheese on the top of them. Some ketchup helped moisten them and lent some additional flavor. Made for Sun and Spice 2013.
Absolutely loved this recipe, however I replaced the sweetcorn with freshly chopped mushrooms and sauteed them with the onion and pepper, this made them even lower in calories! I also added a tbsp of salsa to the mixture as i found it a little dry and this helped to keep the patties together in the pan and meant I didn't need any flour :) Love the combination of herbs and spices! Made 3 batches now and keep them frozen for convenience! The family cannot get enough!