Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
The flavors in this go so well together. It is my adaptation of a Taste of Home recipe found online.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup strong black coffee
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 large yam, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups medium salsa (I use Emerald Valley Organic)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (to garnish)
- Gently saute the chopped onion and garlic in the olive oil until softened (about five minutes). Add the chili powder, cumin, honey, black coffee and water and stir.
- Then stir in all other ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the yam cubes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Or -- if your burner runs out of propane like mine did, you can bake the whole thing in a covered oven-proof pot in a 325 degree oven for two hours.
- Top each bowlful with 2 tablespoons cold sour cream.