Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is a tasty soup!
- 2 cups chopped medium-sized onions
- 1 1⁄4 cups carrots (sliced or baby)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen white shoepeg corn or 1 (16 ounce) package peas
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans or 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canned Italian tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canned no salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- 1 lb ground beef (blotted and rinsed in warm water)
- Combine all ingredients in a 5- or 6-quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 7 hours.
- To make vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- Leftovers freeze well.
This was very good!! I love beans and have been searching for more recipes with beans - this was a double win! I didn't add the ground meat because I thought it would be wonderful with spicy hot sausage - but forgot to add it!!
It was very good - even with out the meat. I also added some cumin and chipoltle peppers in adobo sauce because we like it spicy hot! Thank you for this wonderful addition to my recipes
This was actually a lot better than I expected and we enjoyed it a lot. I deviated from the recipe in the following ways: I used less corn (more like 8 ounces) and instead of the Italian tomatoes I used a can of Rotel. I cooked it on the stove top instead of the crock pot. The directions did not say to brown the ground beef first, but it seemed obvious that that's what was meant. I was going to make a vegetarian version, but I was at a loss as to what to sub for the ground beef. Anyway, this was a pleasing recipe and quite healthy besides.