Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Delicious! A perfect way to prepare a tenderloin for the holidays. It leaves you free to take care of other dishes, and makes a wonderful presentation. The meat turns out "melt in your mouth" tender. You can offer a variety from rare to medium, or medium rare to medium well done because the larger portion of the tenderloin takes longer to cook. Serve pieces from the smaller end to the individuals that want their meat well done. I have made this the last 8 years for Christmas, and always have requests to make it again! Make sure you heat up the marinade to serve with the tenderloin...it is wonderful. To save $$, you can use this marinade with prime rib as well, just cook the prime rib at 450 degrees for 20 minutes before lowering to 350, to seal in the juices! Prep time does not include marinating time!!
- 1 cup port wine or 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 -6 lbs beef tenderloin
- Combine the first 8 ingredients; mix well.
- Place tenderloin in a large shallow dish; pour wine mixture over top, and cover tightly. Refrigerate 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Uncover tenderloin; drain off and reserve marinade.
- Place tenderloin on a rack in a pan; insert meat thermometer, making sure it does not touch fat.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes. 140 degrees is rare, 150 for medium rare, 160 for medium. Baste occasionally with marinade. (Please do not cook this roast more than medium rare -- you will ruin the taste and tenderness!).
- Serve leftover marinade on the side, after placing it in a saucepan and boiling gently for 3 to 5 minutes.
Thanks breezermom for posting! This was tender and delicious. Now it is not a cheap cut of beef. It cost me $18.00 to make half a recipe (3 lb tenderloin) but it was worth it. Definitely great for a dinner party or special occasion. I paired it with her Cheesy Mashed Potatoes and two kinds of vegetables. Everyone enjoyed it. My husband said it was super tender. The marinade smells amazing and tastes great as it soaks into the beef. Simply grand. Made for Newest Zaar Tag Feb.2010. Enjoy! CHefDLH