Recipe by Rita~
This is better the next day like most stews. It`s 2-15-2005 and I just made this it`s fall apart tender. The aromas from the star anise and cinnamon are heavenly. I didn`t find it to spicy. The spicyness depends on the curry you use. I also had a 1/2 red pepper and 1/2 celery which I dice and tossed into the pot along with the beer.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons annatto seeds
- 2 lbs top round beef, cut into large cubes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup beer (optional)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 pieces star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup thickly chopped carrot
- 1 cup mint leaves or 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 red chilies, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat half of the oil with annatto seeds and stir quickly until the oil takes on the redish-brown color of the seeds.
- Set aside, strain and remove the seeds.
- Marinate the beef cubes with onion, half the garlic, salt, sugar and half of the annatto seed oil mixture for 45 minutes.
- Heat the remaining annatto seed oil and cook the remaining garlic until soft.
- Add curry powder, beer and marinade and it`s ingredients.
- Braise the beef, adding a little water, lemongrass, star anise and cinnamon.
- Cook at 350 degree in oven for 1 hour then and add carrots.
- Cook for 1 more hour.
- Simmer 5 more minutes.
- Garnish and serve over white rice is how I served it. The juices got absorbed into the rice.