Prep 1 hr
Cook 22 mins
Non-traditional version made with puff pastry
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed for 30 minutes (2 sheets)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In a big nonstick skillet, saute onion, bell pepper, ground beef, curry powder, cumin, salt, and pepper in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add in water; simmer, covered, until meat is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Fold in the chopped boiled egg, raisins, and mint.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Roll out 1 puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface to 14x10 inch rectangle.
- Cut pastry with either a fluted dough press or cookie cutter to make eight 3 ½ inch circles.
- Repeat with second sheet of puff pastry.
- While holding 1 circle at a time in your hand, spoon 1 teaspoon of meat mixture into the middle.
- Fold pastry in half and secure the circle by pressing the edges together with a fork to make a seal.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Place samosas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; brush the tops with egg.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until pastry is well puffed and golden.
- Remove from oven, let cool, then serve.
Really really liked these! I used dried cranberries, cuz I didn't have raisins. Also used some parsley instead of the mint. Served with mango chutney. Love them!
This was just fantastic! I loved every bite, of sweet, spicy, curry, crunchy, juicy. Run to make this it was so delicious. I did not use the mint however as I do not like mint and instead used coriander. I also used regular dark raisins and I increased the amount of cumin. I also threw in some chopped olives just for fun.