Recipe by Sharlene~W
A classic Thai dish. My idea of a perfect Thai meal: Chicken Satay, Pad Thai, Spicy Beef Salad and Thai Iced Tea. Prep time does not include 1 hour of chilling time for dressing. Nothing really substitutes for lemongrass. Try looking for it in a local Asian market.
- 1 large tomatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 1 large sweet onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander, divided
- 2 small fresh Thai peppers or 2 small serrano peppers
- 1 stalk lemongrass, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- mixed greens
- sliced green onion (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine tomato, onion, cucumber and chopped green onions.
- Set aside.
- Rub steak with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon coriander.
- Process remaining 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon coriander, Thai peppers, lemongrass, fresh lemon juice, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, vegetable oil, and sugar in a food processor until smooth.
- Chill dressing for 1 hour.
- Grill steak, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350°-400°F) for 6 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice steak.
- To serve, place steak and vegetable mixture in a large bowl, drizzle with dressing, tossing to coat.
- Serve over salad greens; garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.