Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
From EveryDay with Rachael Ray June/July 2008.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely chopped habanero peppers
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 pita bread
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine yogurt and two-thirds of the garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the reamining garlic, the habanero chile and cumin; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the beef and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- On a baking sheet, top each pita with a quarter of the beef mixture and bake until crisp, about 8 minutes. Serve with the garlic yogurt.
This is a good recipe. Different. I used whole wheat pitas and used green bell peppers instead of habaneros. The yogurt made it special. Thanks for posting.
This was very good. I made a couple of changes - I used steak strips instead of ground beef. Also, I forgot about the red pepper until after the pizza had already come out of the oven, so I chopped it up and put it on top raw. I rather liked the crisp crunch of the raw pepper, but I think next time I would pay more attention to the recipe when I was cooking. Also, I added green onions to the onions because I love green onions and I had a bunch to use in the refrigerator. I served the garlic yogurt on the side as a dip. It was very flavorful! I used whole wheat pitas. All in all, a treat for lunch! Made for Please Review My Recipe Tag Game, 1/17/09 - NELady.
I omitted the habanero peppers cause I didn't have any. Instead of ground cumin I used taco seasoning. DH didn't put sauce on his pitza cause he's fussy with things like yogurt and sauce. But I did and I liked the taste. Thanks Shelby. Made for 123 hit wonders