Recipe by Heatherbelle2
This is the cover recipe from the June '07 Aussie magazine "delicious". After the pan cooking, I put it in my slow cooker for about 4 hours on low. Instead of 6 individual pies, I made one big pie using 2 sheets of pastry. The recipe below is exactly from the magazine. Use less liquid for a slow cooker. It was a huge hit with my son & hubby.
- 2 large onions
- 1 1⁄2 kg beef stewing beef, cut into 3 cm cubes (one inch)
- 2 -3 tablespoons harissa
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 140 g tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olive
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint
- 6 sheets frozen butter puff pastry, thawed before using
- 1⁄4 cup lightly packed brown sugar (40g)
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 160°C Cut 1 onion into 6 thick rounds & set aside.
- Finely chop the other onion.
- Toss meat in harissa.
- Heat oil in a flame-proof casserole (or large non-stick fry pan for slow cooking) on med-high heat. Brown beef in batches then set aside.
- Add chopped onion to pan & stir for 3-4 mins till soft. Add paste, stir for 1 minute.
- Add beef & flour & stir for 1 minute.
- Add wine, stock, bay leaves & cinnamon the season.
- Bring to a boil, then cover & place in oven (or remove to slow cooker) & cook for 2 hours for oven, until meat is tender.
- Stir in olives, dried tomatoes & mint. Cool completely.
- Turn oven to 200°C Brush reserved onion slices on one side with oil & coat in sugar.
- Fry on med heat, sugar side down, for 1 min to brown.
- Divide beef evenly between 6 350ml pie dishes (or place in one large dish).
- Cover with pastry & trim edges.
- Place 1 onion slice in centre of each pie (or down the middle of one large pie).
- Brush pastry with egg & bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.