Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe goes back years, the beef may be replaced with small meatballs, just pan-fry the meatballs slightly before cooking them with the other ingredients.
- 2 lbs sirloin beef
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or adjust to taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Cut beef into bite-sized cubes.
- In a large skillet brown bacon then remove, cool slightly and chop into large pieces (do not drain the bacon fat).
- In the same pan; add onion and garlic, saute until softened.
- Add paprika and chili flakes to the onion/garlic and cook stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add the meat cubes with all the other ingredients except the sour cream; cover and cook over low heat until meat is tender (about 1-1/2 hours) stirring often.
- Just before serving mix the flour and the sour cream together, and stir into the goulash.
- Cook and stir 1-2 minutes until well combined (do not boil).
Absolutely delicious. Didn't have regular Paprika so I used my Hungarian Hot proved to be a good choice. Both the wife and I really enjoyed every bite. I prepared it in my electric skillet and was so easy to clean up. Thanks again Kitten. Firehouse Cook AKA Cap'n Jack