1/1 Photo of Spicy Beef Empanadas
I experimented with some empanada recipes I found and added some of my favorite ingredients to come up with these delicious spicy beef empanadas, which was an instant hit at the dinnerparty with my girlfriends. Now I have to make them at every gettogether.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 5 shallots, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 -3 red chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 ounces concentrated tomato paste
- 5 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon habanero sauce
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 3 large hardboiled egg, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 8 sheets puff pastry
- 2 eggs, beaten (for glaze)
- 1Pre-heat oven at 375°F Pour some cooking oil in a skillet and press cloves over the pan.nAdd chopped shallots and fry on low heat, until soft but not browned. Add a bit of salt and the chopped red chili pepper.
- 2Add ground beef and let brown on med-high heat. Drain the mixture put back in skillet. Add bell pepper and cook on high for about a minute.
- 3Turn heat to med-low and add cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, flour, and tomato sauce. Turn off the stove and let cool to room temperature.
- 4Now mix some worcestershire sauce (to taste, I love it and put it in practically everything, but can be omitted), vinegar, lemon juice, habanero pepper sauce (or tabasco). To add a hint of sweetness, I add tomato ketchup, about 5 tbs.Stir in chopped egg, jalapenos and cilantro. Add pepper and salt to taste.
- 5Let pastry thaw and cut 5" circles.
- 6Put pastry on baking sheet. Put about a spoonful of the meat mixture on one half of the circle. Put some beaten egg on the edges and fold. press edges with a fork. Put some more egg mixture over the empanadas for glaze. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 mins until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Beef Empanadas
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 763.0
- Calories from Fat 470
- Total Fat 52.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 86.0 mg
- Sodium 395.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 19.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
concentrated tomato paste
white wine vinegar