Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is how we cook beef in Sri lanka. Sri Lankan food has its own flavor. I tell people it is a mix between Indian (spicy) and Thai (hot and coconut milk)
- 1 lb chuck roast, cut into 1/2-inch size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- sri lankan curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Mix meat, salt tamarind, curry powder, turmeric, chili powder and black pepper.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven and fry onions and jalapeno until onion is golden color.
- Add garlic and ginger.
- Add the meat and mix well, keep cooking for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and water and cook at medium heat for about 1/2 hours.
- Serve with white rice.
Nice recipe samanmalee! thanks! I doubled the recipe and subbed 2 Tbs. vinegar for the tamarind paste (is that gorika?) didn't have any on hand, and remembered my Sri Lankan Mother in law said you can use the vinegar in place of gorika to tenderize the meat. Thanks for posting!