Prep 4 mins
Cook 2 mins
My family loves this Vietnamese Stew. I got this from a Vietnamese cookbook but did some adjustments and modifications. May look complicated to make but really..it's so easy and delicious!! Try it and let me know what you think.
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon five-spice powder (available at oriental stores)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 lbs beef stew meat (1 inch thick pieces) or 4 lbs beef short ribs (1 inch thick pieces)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow sweet onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed
- 3 ounces fresh ginger, cut into 3 slices and lightly crushed
- 2 cups beef stock (or 2 c water with 1 beef bouillon)
- 2 stalks lemongrass, use the white part only
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick, about 2 inches long
- 3 dried chilies or 3 Thai red chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon annatto seeds or 1 teaspoon ground annatto seed
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- Combine the fish sauce, 5 spice powder, and sugar in a dish. Add the meat, coating well and marinate, refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Heat together the oil, onions, garlic, and ginger in a heavy bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Cook ingredients, stirring often, until fragrant and golden about 10 minutes. Add the marinated meat into the pot.
- Add the stock and cover the pot. Bring to a boil over med. heat. Add the lemongrass, star anise, cinnamon stick, chilies, and annato seeds/powder and simmer over medium low heat for 2 hours Add carrots and continue braising until the meat is tender. Skim off the fat and serve with noodles(any kind) or rice on the side.
- Tip: To skim the fat, remove the vegetables and meat carefully. Place a double layer of paper towel in a sieve set over a bowl and strain the cooking liquid through the paper towels. You will get a clear and rich colored stock. Divide the meat and vegetables among 4 to 6 bowls and serve with rice on the side or put in noodles in the bowl.