Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe never fails if there is enough sauce. You can't go wrong. If it looks like there's too little liquid just add more water, vinegar and tomato sauce.
- 1 kg stewing beef, cubed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 large onion
- 2 -3 large carrots
- 1⁄2 cup sultana
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- Mix 2 tblsp flour with 1 tsp each of mustard, ginger, curry powder and mixed spice.
- Roll meat cubes in the mixture and place in casserole dish.
- Slice the onion and mix in with the meat
- Peel and cut the carrots into big chunks and mix in with the meat.
- Mix in ½ cup sultanas.
- TO MAKE THE SAUCE
- Mix 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 ¼ cups water, 1 tsp sugar, 1tsp salt, and 4 tblspn tomato sauce and pour over the beef.
- Cover and cook in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees for 1 ½ - 2 hours.
The taste was good but I'm glad I had another batch of the sauce to add for when checked at 1 1/2 hours there was very little left but in adding the next lot and another 30 minutes in the oven (I cooked at 175C fan forced oven) and there was a wonderful thick gravy. I subbed potatoe for the parsnip and added beans to make a complete one pot dish which we all enjoyed. Definately make sure you have bread or bread rolls to mop up the gravy, great comfort food. Thank you Ozzy, made for Healthy Choices ABC.