Recipe by Hey Jude
This is a fun and easy dish to prepare. Serve over steamed rice and you have a meal-in-one. The chili peppers are the small, dried ones that you can buy at Oriental groceries....they're about 2 inches long. Thanks again Madame Wong.
- 1 lb flank steak, very thinly sliced into bite-size pieces
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 10 whole red chili peppers (dried peppers)
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 bunch scallion, green part only, cut 2 inches long
- 10 whole water chestnuts, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 6 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chili paste with garlic
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine marinade ingredients. Marinate steak 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 T. oil in a wok to smoking hot. Add meat. Stir-fry until color changes. Drain. Remove.
- Wipe out wok. Heat 2 T. oil. Add red chili peppers. Stir-fry until black. Add red pepper, scallions, water chestnuts and sauce. Bring to a boil. Add meat. Stir-fry 1 minute more.
- Make sure you remove the 10 chili peppers before serving. If you accidentally eat one it will be an uncomfortable experience!