Prep 35 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Posting for ZWT. From my crock pot recipe book. This would make a great recipe for pot lucks or camping trips. Enjoy
- 1⁄3 cup lentils
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- combine lentils and water in large saucepan, boil 20 to 30 minutes, drain.
- cook bacon in med skittle until crispy, transfer to paper towels to drain, cool then crumble bacon. in same skittle cook onion in bacon drippings until tender.
- combine lentils, bacon, onion, beans, tomatoes with juice, ketchup, garlic, chili powder, cumin, pepper flakes and bay leaf in crock pot.
- cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- before serving remove bay leaf.
Taking other reviewers tips to heart (as well as my own reluctance to make things TOO HOT), I cut back in half the amounts of cumin, chili powder & red pepper flakes, & we thought it was "Spicy-Enough Beans Tex-Mex!" Very nice dish, though, & a recipe I'd like to make again! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the ZINGO portion of ZWT5]
These really are spicy beans - my mouth was on FIRE after eating these (wimp). I followed the recipe as directed except I subbed BBQ sauce for the ketchup, omitted the cumin, and doubled the chili powder (I used ancho chili powder). Served alongside beef enchiladas I made using recipe #123718. I chopped up some green onions and threw them on top of the beans for a little crunchy zing. Good flavor, but I would cut down the heat next time. Made for the Groovy GastroGnomes, Zingo, ZWT5.
I cut the bacon into 1/8 inch stripes before I fried it. Then drained the onions after cooking them in the bacon grease. I think the cumin is what I did not care for in this recipe, I think I'll try a little less next time. Made during * Zaar World Tour 5* 2009 game for team *Genies of Gourmet*