Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This was cooked for us by our fabulous friends in Melbourne, Dave and Larissa. It is delicious.
Make and share this Spicy Beans on Baked Sweet Potato recipe from Food.com.
- 3 sweet potatoes (500g)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 9.85 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 2.46 ml chili powder
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 236.59 ml vegetable stock
- 1 large courgette, cubed
- 1 green pepper, cubed
- 310 g corn kernels
- 2 (800 g) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh coriander leaves
- sour cream or light soy sour cream, to serve
- grated cheddar cheese or soy cheddar cheese, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees (gas 6-7).
- Rinse the sweet potatoes, then pierce with a small sharp knife. Place them on a baking.
- tray and bake for 1-1½ hours, or until soft.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very soft and golden. Add garlic and spices, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato and stock, stir well, then add the vegetables and beans.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, increase the heat slightly, and cook.
- for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid had reduced and thickened. Stir in the coriander leaves just before serving.
- To serve, cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthways. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the top. Add a dollop of light (soy) sour cream and sprinkle with grated (soy) cheddar cheese.
I love this recipe - it's super-easy to make, anyone could do it - and it's delicious. I cut up the sweet potatoes and throw them in the pot, rather than baking them, and add a lot more cilantro, and my whole family loves it. Great for non-vegetarians, too, because it's hearty enough that they don't miss the meat. I fin that this recipe is more like 6 servings as well.
This was delicious! I didn't cook the vegetables as long as directed: I cooked the stock & tomatoes about 5 mins then added the beans & corn for 5 minutes then the peppers & zucchini for 5 minutes just to soften. It worked very well. This is a bit high in carbs but is yummy enough to have on occasion. Thanks! Made for PAC 9/07.