Recipe by Bunny Erica
This was cooked for us by our fabulous friends in Melbourne, Dave and Larissa. It is delicious.
Top Review by candaceshaw
I love this recipe - it's super-easy to make, anyone could do it - and it's delicious. I cut up the sweet potatoes and throw them in the pot, rather than baking them, and add a lot more cilantro, and my whole family loves it. Great for non-vegetarians, too, because it's hearty enough that they don't miss the meat. I fin that this recipe is more like 6 servings as well.
- 3 sweet potatoes (500g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 large courgette, cubed
- 1 green pepper, cubed
- 310 g corn kernels
- 2 (400 g) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
- sour cream or light soy sour cream, to serve
- grated cheddar cheese or soy cheddar cheese, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 210 degrees (gas 6-7).
- Rinse the sweet potatoes, then pierce with a small sharp knife. Place them on a baking.
- tray and bake for 1-1½ hours, or until soft.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very soft and golden. Add garlic and spices, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato and stock, stir well, then add the vegetables and beans.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, increase the heat slightly, and cook.
- for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid had reduced and thickened. Stir in the coriander leaves just before serving.
- To serve, cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthways. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the top. Add a dollop of light (soy) sour cream and sprinkle with grated (soy) cheddar cheese.