Recipe by jonesies
Taken from the Light & Tasty Magazine. Recipe is loaded with beans, romatoes, rice and seasonings. Delicious served with corn muffins.
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
An enjoyable, filling beans and rice dish. I made it as written and thought it needed a fair amount of salt to bring the flavors forward. That simple addition made this a winner in my book. Thanks for posting.
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1⁄2 cups rice, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- In a nonstick skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, cayenne and fennel seed.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the beans. Cover and simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until beans are heated through.
- Serve with rice.