1/1 Photo of Spicy Bean Turnovers (With Variations)
Our family loves these little 'mock hotpockets' and they come together really quickly. Add a side of salsa & fat-free sour cream for an easy, healthy lunch, or serve as an appetizer. There are many variations for these and they would be great for a lunchbox. These can be baked, then frozen, and reheated in the microwave. Adapted from an idea I saw in Quick Cooking that called for a can of bean dip in place of the bean mixture I use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups whole pinto beans, cooked
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (for sprinkling on top)
- 1 (9 inch) pastry for double-crust pie
- 1Mash pinto beans (could use food processor).
- 2Add cumin, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, salt, chili flakes, coriander, onion, and salsa.
- 3Mix well--adjust seasonings to taste.
- 4On floured surface, roll pastry to 1/8 inch thickness.
- 5Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheese; press lightly into dough.
- 6Turn pastry over. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and press lightly into dough.
- 7Cut into 3 inch circles (I used a wide-mouthed glass for lack of a cookie cutter).
- 8Place small amount bean mixture (large teaspoon's worth) into center of each circle.
- 9Fold over to form a semi-circle with the bean mixture inside. Press edges with a fork to seal the mixture inside.
- 10Sprinkle the tops with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder.
- 11Bake at 350F for about 15 minutes or until brown.
- 12PIZZA FILLING VARIATION:.
- 13Mix together:.
- 141/2 cup pizza sauce.
- 151/2 cup cooked ground beef or chopped pepperoni.
- 161/3 cup onion & peppers (chopped and mixed together to make 1/3 cup).
- 17Shredded mozzarella cheese, if you like.
- 18CHICKEN PARMESAN VARIATION:.
- 19Mix together:.
- 201/2 cup pizza sauce.
- 211/2 cup chicken, cooked and sliced or shredded.
- 221/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded.
- 231/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated.
- 24HAM 'N' CHEESE FILLING VARIATION:.
- 25Mix together:.
- 261/2 cup deli ham, chopped.
- 271/3 cup processed cheese, melted.
- 281/4 cup onion, chopped.
- 29Allow filling to cool (so it is not liquid) before stuffing.
- 30OTHER VARIATIONS:.
- 31Stuff with chopped hot dogs and shredded cheese.
- 32Stuff with homemade chili (drain liquid before stuffing).
- 33Stuff with taco meat and shredded cheese.
- 34Stuff with chicken tikka masala or other Indian meats, and add some chutney.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Bean Turnovers (With Variations)
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.1
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 9.8 mg
- Sodium 864.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 10.4 g