Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from Giada De Laurentiis, Everyday Italian show on the Food Network. This makes ALOT, but it does freeze well. The frozen corn is my addition (totally optional).
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 inches parmesan cheese, rind (optional)
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 8 cups vegetable broth or 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup dry green lentils
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 2 crookneck yellow squash, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 lb frozen corn (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaf
- Heat the oil in a heavy large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, celery, carrot, bell pepper, and garlic, and saute until the onions are translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, coriander, cumin, oregano and crushed red pepper, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, tomato juice, tomato paste, cheese rind, and 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Add the broth, garbanzo beans, cannellini beans, and lentils. Stir in the broccoli, zucchini, and yellow squash.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat. Decrease the heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are tender and the mixture thickens slightly, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
- Season the stew to taste with more salt, if desired.
- Ladle the stew into bowls. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and basil, and serve.