Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
What a great banana bread. Nice change from your basic banana bread. Adjutst spices to taste. Candace submitted this recipe at another recipe site.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- 6 ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 -2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray two 9x5 loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour,salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- Add flour mixture to shortening mixture.
- Blend well.
- Add well mashed bananas, blend well.
- Add nuts.
- Pour into the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Testing with wooden toothpick.
Very good! Moist and delicious. I didn't have walnuts or pecans, so I used a combination of sliced almonds and chopped peanuts.
Delicious!! This bread is very moist and flavorful. I halved the recipe and made 1 loaf. I used the larger amount of spices and it turned out perfect. With all of the spices in this recipe, the flavor is similar to banana gingerbread. I added a small amount of banana extract to boost the banana flavor. This is something I always do when I make banana bread. I baked the bread in a cast iron loaf pan for 1 hour at 325 degrees. My family loved this wonderful, different banana bread. Thank you for sharing.