Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is adapted from a weight loss websites newsletter. Posted for 2006 Zaar World Tour - Mexico
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, washed and cut lengthwise into strips 1/3 inch on each side
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 450°F With aluminum foil or parchment paper, line a cookie sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine sweet potatoes with olive oil and seasonings. Mix well to evenly coat potatoes. Place potato strips on the foil or parchment lined cookie sheet and leave space between strips for even baking.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until potatoes become crispy. Turn strips every 5 to 7 minutes as needed. Serve immediately.
i love these sweet potato fries-- i ate them all the time this summer! i'm the only one in my family who loves sweet potatoes, so i changed the recipe to fit one person: i used 1 large sweet potato, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp chili powder and 1/4 tsp onion powder. for a little less mess i combined the spices in a large ziplock baggie. after cutting the sweet potato into fries i sprayed them with olive-oil flavored cooking spray, placed them in the baggie and shook to coat. then i baked them in a 475 deg oven for 12 minutes on each side-- they turned out delicious every time! thank you thank you thank you so much!
First time I tried this I couldnt get the fries to get crispy. So instead of cutting the potatoes like fries I cut them like silver dollars and about 1/4 in thick, put them on a cookie sheet and flipped them once during cooking. Worked out much better. I also vary the spices from time to time.
Made one potato for the two of us and added 1/8 t. cayenne. So good with our soft tacos.