Recipe by veggieFriendly
This is my favorite home made macaroni and cheese. It has a good custard-like texture and is delicious.
- 8 ounces pasta (Macaroni, Shells, or penne work well)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk (approximately)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a shallow baking dish and Preheat oven to 350-375 F.
- Cook pasta until about 2 min shy of done according to package, drain.
- Back in the pan, mix pasta with butter, then egg, cheese, cayenne, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour pasta mixture into the baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Fill with enough milk to almost cover the pasta.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove and stir to distribute any cheese clumps into the milk.
- Bake another 15 minute Remove and top with bread bread crumbs.
- Bake for 10 more minutes until bread crumbs are crispy and casserole is bubbly.
- Remove and let cool for 5 minutes or so, then serve. Baking times may vary.