Recipe by khott13
A great lasagna recipe from my grandparents. Heat can be adjusted by using hot or mild Italian sausage.
- 3 lbs Italian sausage, hot
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) jar tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces lasagna noodles, wide
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy skillet, slowly brown the sausage, breaking it up with a fork or use a Cuisinart which is quite effective and saves time. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add bell pepper and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook the onion and garlic until softened.
- Add onion mixture, tomato sauce, wine, parsley flakes, basil and 1 1/2 tsp salt to sausage.
- Simmer sausage sauce for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook pasta as directed by its package.
- In a bowl, stir together lightly beaten eggs, ricotta cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pour 1 cup of sauce in a 14x10x4 in baking pan and cover with 3 pasta strips, making sure they do not touch one another.
- Spread about 2 cups sauce over pasta.
- Drop one-third of the ricotta mixture by spoonfuls onto sauce and gently spread with back of spoon.
- Sprinkle one fourth of the mozzarella over ricotta mixture and make two more layers in the same manner, beginning and ending with pasta.
- Spread remaining sauce evenly over top, making sure pasta is completely covered and sprinkle with Parmesan and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover pan tightly with foil and bake in middle of the oven 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 10 minutes longer or until top is bubbling and golden.
- Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before cutting into squares.