My spin on a Jimmy Dean bakeoff winner 2005. In my picture, I made 1/2 the recipe which makes plenty. I kept the full amount (1 lb) pork sausage, used chipotle powder for the red pepper and would cut back on the black pepper if you like it less spicy.
- 1 lb jimmy dean ground pork sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cansbold-and-spicy baked beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained or 1 (15 ounce) can lima beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can light kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 3 cups bottled barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar (1/2 cup is on the sweet side)
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- fresh lemon juice, 1 squirt (optional but very good)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cook pork sausage in an ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in Dutch oven. Return sausage to Dutch oven and stir in onion; saute until tender. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to mix.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
I think it definetely has too much red pepper! Other than that we liked it. I cut the recipe in half except I used all the sausage. I used about 2 Tbsps. of brown sugar and with the BBQ sauce it was plenty sweet. I think it would work just as well with ground beef or turkey. Thanks for posting! Made for New Kids On The Block cooking tag game.