Recipe by gailanng
My spin on a Jimmy Dean bakeoff winner 2005. In my picture, I made 1/2 the recipe which makes plenty. I kept the full amount (1 lb) pork sausage, used chipotle powder for the red pepper and would cut back on the black pepper if you like it less spicy.
Top Review by linguinelisa
I think it definetely has too much red pepper! Other than that we liked it. I cut the recipe in half except I used all the sausage. I used about 2 Tbsps. of brown sugar and with the BBQ sauce it was plenty sweet. I think it would work just as well with ground beef or turkey. Thanks for posting! Made for New Kids On The Block cooking tag game.
- 1 lb jimmy dean ground pork sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cansbold-and-spicy baked beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained or 1 (15 ounce) can lima beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can light kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 3 cups bottled barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar (1/2 cup is on the sweet side)
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- fresh lemon juice, 1 squirt (optional but very good)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pork sausage in an ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in Dutch oven. Return sausage to Dutch oven and stir in onion; saute until tender. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to mix.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.