Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 large onion, peeled and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can plum tomatoes, with juice
- 6 slices bacon
- Cut the bacon into small strips and add to saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic; add to saucepan and fry with ginger until soft and translucent (not brown).
- When vegetables are cooked, open tomatoes and cut into small pieces; add tomatoes and juice to saucepan with salt and pepper.
- The secret of this recipe is to keep cooking over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the tomato juice has reduced to a thickish sauce.
- When desired thickness is reached, serve on toast -- it certainly wakes those taste buds up.
I didn't like this because the bacon grease stays in the dish. It also took about 30 minutes to get it to the right consistency. It didn't taste terrible but it wasn't good enough for me to want to make again. So sorry.