Recipe by CaribbeanQueen
The name says it all. How can you go wrong with this combination? We especially like this dish with grilled meats and vegetables.
- 8 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup packed grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- jalapeno, chopped, for extra zip
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Cook chopped bacon in heavy skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp.
- Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Blot well.
- Combine bacon, potatoes and onion in prepared baking dish.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with cheese. And jalapenos, if using.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake until potatoes and onions are very tender, about 1 hour.
- Preheat broiler.
- Uncover baking dish and broil until the top of the potato mixture is brown and crisp.
- Watch closely. This only takes a couple of minutes!