Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe I've modified, originally from Allrecipes.com. I usually make it on the mild side for the kids, then DH and I spice it up. Don't skimp on the garnishes!
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces chicken chunks, I use canned in a pinch
- 1 quart chicken stock or 1 quart canned broth
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies, heat level of your choosing
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- lime wedge
- fresh cilantro
- tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, sautee onion and garlic in oil until translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and brown, then add stock, lime juice, Ro-Tel (with juice), salt and pepper. Gently simmer until chicken is cooked, 3-5 minutes. Stir in avocado and cilantro and heat through, and adjust seasonings to taste.
- (If you wish to thicken the soup a bit, use an immersion blender or mash some of the avocado by hand. You can also add potato flakes if you want a thicker broth.).
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and cheddar cheese, a sprinkle of additional cilantro, with lime wedge and tortilla chips on the side. Enjoy!
Great recipe - I made some changes to suit our cupboard and our taste. I used very low sodium chicken soup base for the broth and used green enchilada sauce instead of the canned tomatoes and the jalapeños and that was spicy enough for Mr. Wonderful who was born and raised Wyoming, with little exposure to jalapeños. :-) I added a can of white beans (hominy would also work but there's that Wyoming thing again) to give it a bit more texture, and used some crunched up tortilla chips and shredded cabbage before topping it with chopped avocado. This stays in "the rotation!"
This was exceptional! Love the fresh flavors and the tanginess of the lime. For me, the cilantro was the crowning touch
Easy and tasty. I always get the bag of avocados at costco and sometimes can't use them all. This is a great way to use up 2 avocados. You really don't need cheese or sour cream - it's good as is. I used the Mild Rotel tomatoes and adjusted the spiciness with fresh ground black pepper. I was afraid it wouldn't be spicy enough, but it was perfect. Made some fresh whole wheat biscuits to go with it. This soup is a keeper.