Recipe by MrsDoty
I received this via email update from America's Test Kitchen. I'm looking forward to employing some of our bumper cucumber crop on this.
Top Review by MtSkiLover
Perfect for the Thai Turkey dish as a side. It's just the two of us so I used 1 cucumber and cut the marinade in half just like JanuaryBride. I also substitued lemon juice since I didn't have lime and it was very good. I didn't have fresh or whole dried red chilli peppers so I used red pepper flakes for the heat. I will keep this recipe on hand and make it again.
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 red chili pepper, minced (1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices (looks like a 1/4 moon)
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh basil leaf, chopped
- table salt & fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring vinegar and sugar to boil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture reduces by half, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Whisk in lime juice, ginger, chile, and sesame oil. Toss in cucumbers, scallions, and basil; season with salt and pepper, and let sit for 10 minutes or up to 1 hour. Serve.