Recipe by A foodlover
I found this in my Shape magazine. It is a great lowfat soup that helps on a cold day or as a flu zapper. It looks like a long list but it is quick to make.
Top Review by Kim127
Loved this soup! I used the 1/4 teaspoon Asian chili sauce and may increase it next time to 1/2 as a personal preference. Loved the combination of veggies and chicken. I added some matchstick carrot slices to add even more color and it looked very appealing in the soup bowls. I am so glad I picked to make this from the Newbie Nursery for the Fall 2007 PAC.
- 1 (48 ounce) can nonfat chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Asian chili sauce or 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more if you like spice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 8 slices
- 3⁄4 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into thin 3 inch long strips
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom (or white button mushrooms)
- 1 cup snap peas or 1 cup snow peas
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (green part of peel)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, chili sauce, lime juice and ginger and boil for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile toss the chicken with the cornstarch until it is completely coated.
- Add the chicken and the shiitakes to the broth and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the snap peas, red peppers, lime zest and cilantro.
- Let the soup stand 2 to 3 minutes before serving.