Recipe by Valerie in Florida
This is an excellent chicken soup recipe with an asian flair. The lime and cilantro really stand out. However, this soup needs to be eaten fresh. Does not reheat/store well.
- 1 (48 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Asian chili sauce or 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 8 slices
- 3⁄4 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 lb fresh shrimp or 1⁄2 lb frozen shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom
- 1 cup snap peas
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, chili sauce, lime juice and ginger and boil for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss chicken with cornstarch until it is completely coated.
- Add the chicken, Shrimp and shiitakes to the broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in snap peas, red pepper, bean sprouts, lime zest and cilantro.
- Let soup stand 5 minutes before serving.