Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is a tasty and spicy appetizer. If you use any of the optional chili sauces or chili powder, adjust to your own taste.
- 2 garlic cloves, pureed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (32 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained and mashed
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian breadcrumbs (if using regular bread crumbs, you might want to flavor them with a pinch of basil, rosemary,marjora)
- chili powder (optional) or Tabasco sauce (optional) or sweet chili sauce (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup additional Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, to roll the balls in
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup additional parmesan cheese, to roll the balls in
- Drain artichoke hearts and reserve juice.
- In a bowl, mash the hearts well.
- Add the 2 slightly beaten eggs, half the parmesan and half the bread crumbs to mashed artichokes and blend well to the consistency of bread dressing.
- If mixture is too dry, add a little of the reserved artichoke juice and/or optional Tabasco or sweet chili sauce. Set aside.
- In a skillet, saute the garlic in oil over medium heat.
- Place artichoke mixture in the skillet, add herbs of your choice, simmer and stir gently until ingredients are thoroughly mixed, about five minutes.
- Spoon cooked artichoke mixture into a bowl, cover and allow to cool.
- Mix remaining parmesan and bread crumbs and chili powder (optional) in a separate bowl.
- Form artichoke mixture into small balls using about 1 tablespoon mixture for each ball.
- Roll balls in mixture of crumb, cheese and chili powder.
- Chill in the refrigerator until firm.
- To serve: Arrange artichoke balls on a cookie sheet and run under the broiler or heat in the microwave. Or, serve at room temperature.
- Stick a colored toothpick in each artichoke ball and place on a colorful plate.