Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another recipe from Leanne Ely's Menu Mailer (savingdinner.com). This was very easy, and my husband loved it. I found it a little plain but he has simpler taste than I do.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄3 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large skillet, thoroughly brown and cook chicken on all sides in vegetable oil. Add garlic; saute lightly (don't let brown).
- In a medium bowl, combine apricot preserves, Dijon mustard, dried apricots, chicken broth and crushed red pepper. Evenly pour over chicken in skillet. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes over low heat till sauce is slightly thickened.
- Leftovers: Drain off the sauce and chill. Chop up the leftover chicken and apricots. Add some mayo, flaked toasted almonds and sliced green onions, and you have a delicious chicken and apricot salad.
Made this without the red pepper. Seasoned the chicken breasts with garlic salt and black pepper before cooking. This was really yummy! No leftovers available!
I have been making this dish for several years now, and I LOVE it. My husband loves it, too. He requests it from time to time. I always make extra sauce b/c it's so good and then I either serve it with broccoli and rice or garlic mashed potates. I would love to try the chicken salad with leftovers, but I NEVER have enough leftovers for chicken salad no matter how much extra I make! Thanks Gingernut for such a wonderful recipe! This is in my book of favorites!
Great recipe Gingernut. Very easy and I found it tasty and so did the family, I did put a tiny bit of grated ginger in also, and added some cashews to it!! DH loves his cashews in this type of dish. We liked it here and I will be buying more apricot preserves (jam) on my next shopping trip, so I can make this again!!! I didn't have any left for a salad either :-( Whats left has double dib's on it by DS, for his lunch at work tomorrow... and let me tell ya Gingernut, if he dibs something to take to work, it must be good!!!